Friday, December 11, 2009

I'iwi


Okay, if you know me, you know that I'm at heart a Bioacoustic neuroethologist. Yeah, a mouthful. I love sounds of living things (bio-acoustics), and figuring out the internal mechanisms of natural behavior (neuro-ethology). My favorite thing is hawaiian honeycreepers, since it's the best example of behavioral isolation in the world (Hawaii is 2500 miles from the nearest continent, making it the most isolated island chain in the world). Take that, Madagascar!

Anyways, I've been investigating the inter-island song diversity of the honeycreepers, and I decided for shirt.woot to design a shirt based on my love of the natural avifauna of Hawai'i. The i'iwi (Vestiaria coccinea) is only found on the islands, and is a gorgeous red bird with a very metallic song. Here's my shirt design based on that bird. If you love birds, PLEASE give it a vote if you're a wooter.

No comments:

Post a Comment